Monday, November 12, 2007

VIII

Is it possible that I'm beginning to miss living in Humboldt? Here's a list of things that I've been thinking about and reminiscing about living there:

  • Dan and I, late in the evening, after a day of doing nothing, deciding to walk down the street in the pouring rain to go to Ray's (the local market) to get groceries to make a nice dinner and to rent a movie to watch with our meal.
  • Always going to Carl's Jr (it was right down the street, what were we supposed to do?! Ha)
  • Even though I hated it at the time, taking the bus everywhere, I enjoyed taking the A&MRTS (the bus line that only went to Arcata) because there weren't as many hobos than the one I had to take going to school!
  • I miss taking the bus into the plaza, be it late in the evening, to go to a nice restaurant for dinner or to see a movie, or earlier in the day to rent movies, do some window shopping, or to get coffee (Here are some of my favorite places in the Plaza/ Downtown Arcata)

Arcata at night



(The center of the Plaza)
(Los Bagels, the cutest bagel shop with the best bagels!)
(The Minor Theater--the oldest functioning theater in the United States! I loved the rustic feel of the theater and movies were only five bucks!)
(the Jitter Bean Coffee Co.--good coffee, and they put Andes mints on top of your cup!)
(Wildberries Market, one of my favorite places to shop, lots of organic produce and cute things!)
(Don's Donuts--Dan and I would go there to get coffee or nice warm croissants if we were waiting to go see a movie at the Minor, it was a couple stores away from the theater)
(And if we could afford it and feeling ritzy [which was only once I think, ha] we'd go to the Plaza Grill, a nice restaurant on the top floor of the Jacoby Storehouse)

(The Jacoby Storehouse, originally built in 1857, a beautiful building with the Plaza Grill on the third floor, and nice little shops, an ice cream parlor, and offices)
(The beautiful Victorian houses all over the place)


There were other places I loved in Arcata, but unfortunately I couldn't find any pictures- like the Big Blue Cafe, Hunann's, and other places worth mentioning.



  • I also miss some things in Eureka, the town next to Arcata, like the Lost Coast Brewery, possibly my favorite restaurant in Humboldt county, I miss taking the bus with Dan late in the evening on a cold, rainy day to go there, or, when riding home from school spontaneously deciding to go there for dinner
  • I miss the Bayshore Mall, a sad excuse of a mall! But the only one in Humboldt!
I miss Old Town Eureka, lots of beautiful buildings, with restaurants, bookstores, and cute boutiques. (Here's some photos of Old Town:)(Hurricane Kate's, a fancy restaurant that Dan and I went to on one of the first times he came up to visit me)

  • The marshes
  • And of course, I miss the beautiful forest, beaches, and weather

  • And I almost forgot! the small Victorian village of Ferndale, so beautiful!






Well, hah, I'm assuming this post is getting lengthy so I'll cut it short and say that I miss Humboldt!

1 comment:

Julia Loves David said...

Humboldt is really beautiful! I'm sure you really miss it when you are stuck in traffic, or half of California is on fire. I had no idea it was such a cute town, and that theatre looks really fun.
So I've been thinking about Thanksgiving and am really excited - except David has to work part of the day:(